Magnificent MadeGood Tiramisu: Vegan and Gluten-Free too!
Let the Lady Fingers go! This decadent gluten and dairy-free twist on the luscious classic has us wanting to eat dessert first, for every meal. Tiramisu has long been known for it’s delicious and decadent layers, and this recipe offers all of the indulgence without any dairy. Coffee-soaked MadeGood Snickerdoodle Soft Baked Mini Cookies, reminiscent of Nonna’s kitchen, are the perfect addition to this quick dish of decadence that you can make in a full dessert portion or in individual cups to enjoy on the go.
What is Tiramisu? Tiramisu roughly translates to “pick-me-up” from Italian due to its caffeinated contents. Supposedly originating in Tuscany, Italy- Tiramisu made its way onto dessert carts everywhere in the 1980’s. This layered dessert is the perfect cross between cake and pudding; a delectable trio typically consisting of sponge cake soaked in espresso, layered with mascarpone and powdered cocoa.
This vegan spin on Tiramisu is quick and simple to whip up, and with the addition of MadeGood Snickerdoodle Soft Baked Mini Cookies, it is also gluten-free! This wholesome recipe is easy to enjoy at home or on the go because it’s made in the cutest individual mason jars that make it too easy to share. This recipe creates three individual servings but you can double the recipe and make it in a square pan if you’re making it for a group (or just need more for yourself!). Make sure that the mason jars you are using have lids for storing.
You will need three, six-ounce jars or a square shaped pan if you are making a double batch.
- 45 MadeGood Snickerdoodle Soft Baked Mini Cookies (you’ll need about a box and a half, so grab two boxes and snack on the extras!)
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee, slightly cooled
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- I tablespoon cane sugar, optional
- 1 cup vegan mascarpone (see recipe, below*)
- 1 cup dairy free whipped cream (see recipe, below*)
- 2-3 tablespoons cane sugar (optional for added sweetness)
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon finely ground espresso
*Note: The mascarpone recipe makes 2 cups to half the recipe or make it all to use elsewhere. The whipped cream recipe makes 3 cups, so you will have plenty left over. We suggest enjoying it with your morning coffee.
- Start by making the coffee mixture. Add together coffee, almond extract, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, gently fold together the vegan mascarpone, whipped cream, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder and ground espresso.
- Gather your jars and add a generous sprinkle of the topping mixture to the bottom of each jar.
- In batches of five, dip the MadeGood Snickerdoodle Soft Baked Mini Cookies in the coffee mixture for a few minutes. Quickly transfer the dipped mini cookies into the jar.
- Add about three tablespoons of cream layer on top of the cookies.
- Sprinkle on the cocoa/espresso powder topping.
- Repeat about two more times until you end with the cream layer sprinkled with topping.
- Place jars in the refrigerator to set for at least two hours to set. Enjoy!
Store in the fridge for 3-5 days, if it lasts that long!
- 1 ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- ¼ cup blanched slivered almonds, soaked overnight (see note)
- ½ cup plain dairy free yogurt (see note)
- 5 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cane sugar, optional (see note)
- Soak your cashews and almonds overnight in water, or if you can’t wait 8 hours try boiling the cashews for 30 minutes (for a thicker mascarpone use 1 ½ cups cashews and omit the almonds).
- When ready, remove the cashews from the water.
- Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until they’re smooth and creamy.
- The nuts need to be soaked for the right result. If you forget to soak, you can boil them for 30 minutes.
- If you want a lighter result, use up to ½ cup almonds. If you want it thicker and heavier use all cashews. Just make sure the total amount of nuts is 1 ½ cups.
- Make sure to use a creamy full fat yogurt for best results.
- Regular mascarpone doesn’t have sugar but it does have a hint of sweetness from the heavy cream. To mimic that, try adding a touch of sugar. But feel free to leave it out, if you prefer it less sweet.
- This makes about 2 cups.
Dairy Free Whipped Cream
- 3 cups coconut cream (the top layer from about 3 cans full fat coconut milk, stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or in the freezer for 2-3 hours)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- Remove the cans of coconut milk from the refrigerator or freezer. Open and gently take off the top creamy layer leaving the watery liquid behind (this liquid is useful, for a smoothie or to drink as is).
- Put the cream and sugar into a bowl and beat with a hand or stand mixer until it is thick, light and whipped. When using a stand mixer, beat it for at least 5-7 minutes. If your cream is very cold, the outcome will be best.
Allow yourself to indulge! On the first bite of this creamy confection, you will be transported to the simplicity and comfort of Nonna’s kitchen. Layer by layer, in order of taste, this tiramisu hits the spot! The creamy whipped topping quite literally melts in your mouth, while the coffee-soaked MadeGood Snickerdoodle Soft Baked Mini Cookies bring it all together subtly- and finally there’s just enough cocoa and espresso dusting to complete the flavor explosion, in the first bite! This simple yet magnificent MadeGood Tiramisu is almost too good to be true. It belongs in a league of its own. Don’t take our word for it – whip up a batch and try it out!
Also in The Goodness Blog
This recipe is a vegan-friendly, gluten-free, flavourful twist on a crispy classic! These homemade MadeGood Rice Crispy Squares can be Cocoa Crunch or Strawberry flavoured, giving them that un
Similar to special holidays we celebrate throughout the year, Earth Day draws awareness to a greater good we can all agree on. This planet is not only the common home for humanity, but we also share it as part of a larger ecosystem and at MadeGood we take this to heart. We believe in making wholesome food that will nourish us while all at once having minimal impact on the planet. It is our mission to support and source all our ingredients from organic farmers because we care about ingredients that are healthy to eat and cultivated with a conscience. We are committed to goodness for all; this starts with our commitment to minimize our carbon footprint and ends with your favorite MadeGood snacks. These efforts are celebrated every Earth Day, but it is really Earth Day every day at MadeGood!
Back to the books in the MadeGood classroom! But this time, we are here to break down B Corporation (B Corp for short) and what it really means for us and for you!